Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The "State as Body" Aspect of Eunuch Rule

The "State as body" Aspect of Eunuch Rule, really caught me off guard. When I first looked at this poem it was unclear what exactly he was talking about, but as I reread it , it became clear. In this poem Roberson was talking about him wanting to have children and the extreme measures he would go through, because this is how much he wanted to have to have a child. Eunuch is a man who is celibate, and not inclined to reproduce because he is not having sex. So this could defiantly explain why he felt so strongly about having a child.
 The poem began with "I want to kill for my incapacity to feel", when I read this I interpreted it as his child was his weakness and he wanted to make sure could provide his child with all their needs, he also wanted his child to feel life. Then he went on to say "A bodily exchange. A new body Made not to feel alive". I feel like he was talking about when there's a new life created it can't feel right away but the exchange of bodily fluids creates this new  body. He goes on and explains the process of sex, calling the women genitals the "cherry prize" and the men genitals "Head" .
Towards the end he said " and not his absence I will kill to mate. If even with death." In the beginning he also mention how he would kill for his incapacity. And by understanding the poem title it makes the poem more clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment